Reply to post:

Very little helps: Tesco serves up 3-for-1 borkage special to self-scanning Tesco shoppers

doublelayer Silver badge

On the CE devices I have used, they had a button, either hardware or on-screen, which would close the active window, or sometimes it would close the entire application. Never could be sure until you pushed it. If that button didn't eventually close the application which was rare, there was always an exit option in the menu.

I once had the opportunity to use a Windows CE device with a full keyboard and reasonably-sized screen. It was surprisingly usable and like desktop Windows, even though it had only about 128 MB of memory for the OS and all user files. Then again, I didn't try anything all that complex. Still, I distinctly remember having a command prompt, C compiler, and Python interpreter, all of which ran pretty well such that I could write code on the mobile device if I needed to. I'd like to see a modern mobile OS let me do that. Then again, I doubt many people bothered connecting peripherals to turn a Windows CE device into a desk-bound machine.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon