Reply to post: Re: Well worth it?

Samsung Galaxy S21: Lots of little downgrades, but this phone is more than the sum of its parts

doublelayer Silver badge

Re: Well worth it?

I don't mean to accuse you of doing it deliberately, but there are those who do it a lot to distract from the actual point, and it still doesn't matter. The difference per week is £3.65 (£4.93 vs £1.76) or, in other words, a factor of 3.86. That difference, over the life of the product, is £570. Either you are willing to pay £570 more for the improvements or you are not. Whether you describe that as a single £570 payment, £3.65 per week, £0.02 per hour, or any other version doesn't change what the number is.

With that in mind, the most honest way to describe the difference in my opinion is how the cost will be paid. If the person actually pays a bill each week, that might make sense since the person could consider the weekly payments in their budget. I've never seen that. I've only seen per-month contracts, usually with subsidized prices or sometimes with overinflated prices when the open market has discounted the device. I think most purchasers considering this debate are going to purchase outright. In that case, the difference is £570, clear and simple. Dividing the price per week only helps if the consumer has the choice to pay it for a few weeks, decide against it, and pay a lower amount for a different product. They can't, so in my view, the division holds no value.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon