Reply to post: Re: There is no free lunch

Facebook finally finds something it thinks is truly objectionable and needs to be taken offline: Apple

Stuart Castle Silver badge

Re: There is no free lunch

Apple aren't fencing off ads from anyone. If they had any desire to do that, they could block Google and facebook totally.

What they are requiring is that the likes of Facebook declare exactly what info they require and how much. They are also requiring that the likes of Facebook allow people to decide if they want to be tracked.

I don't see what is unfair about that. I'd argue it's better than the alternative, which is these companies being allowed to trade all this data they have on you without you knowing.

Personally, I have no objections to Ads, and don't use an ad blocker I understand that the "free" services I used have costs. Where I do get a bit uneasy is their need to track the user. You don't need to know my fitness info, finance info or location (precise or otherwise) to advertise to me. Facebook asks for that and a *lot* more.

Do I trust Apple? Not entirely, but I trust them a lot more than I do facebook. Why? Because they have staked their reputation on Privacy, and there are enough Apple hating hackers in the work that if Apple were to do anything that would violate their stated position, it'd be all over the web within hours.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon