Reply to post: Re: weekend e-mails

Europe considers making it law that your boss can’t bug you outside of office hours

Eclectic Man Silver badge

Re: weekend e-mails

You have my sympathies.

I did have a client who insisted on daily 'progress' conference calls, at 5.00pm Monday to Friday. Ironically, he did nothing other than attend and organise conference calls and meetings. I would tell him that he had to 'make a decision' go and speak to the end customer, tell the end customer important things (only stuff like 'If I don't tell you this we will be in breach of UK Security regulations and I'll have to tell the client's Departmental Security Officer', you know nothing 'serious').

Those calls lasted a full fortnight before there was pretty much a mutiny as his own team was not pleased at spending 5:00 to 6:00 on a Friday afternoon on a call.

The project only made progress when he left.

Oh, and one of my line managers wanted a weekly team meeting at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon each week. Pretty much the entire team responded that as we worked our bollocks off during the week, he would be the only attendee. (The week he proposed it, I had worked until 10:00pm on Tuesday and Thursday and was not inclined to be around on the Friday afternoon.)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon