Reply to post: Re: My personal rant about all Linux variants

Must 'completely free' mean 'hard to install'? Newbie gripe sparks some soul-searching among Debian community

T-Rex Neb

Re: My personal rant about all Linux variants

Love my Macs, being using them since 1984. Also built my own WinXP boxes that died from cruft. Used WinXP and Win7 at work for 20 years. Dabbled in Hackintoshes. Currently have 4 macs and 4 linux laptops. Hate Win10 and its ilk. I use my macs for most of my production and my linux laptops for fiddling and learning Linux, although I do use them for chat/email/surfing/calendaring as req'd. Glad I never tried to put Debian on a laptop, it'd probably drive me to distraction. Love elementaryOS and how it looks/feels/works right out the box, w/ some added apps that can be easily found and installed. Love mucking about in the CLI. Love the fact that if the Linux machine borks, I can re-install, no harm, no foul, as all of my data's in the cloud. I will say that the build quality of my ThinkPad, EliteBook, ZBook, and Latitude is nowhere near the build quality of my MacBook Pros (currently running Big Sur Beta, thank you very much). That said, the way Apple breaks the UIX during system upgrades is frustrating for this audiobook aficionado. I get my library books using OverDrive Media Console (ODM), which has a 32-bit app for 10.14 and for Windows. So I keep my 27" iMac at 10.14 so that my DVD ripping software (for archival purposes), my DVD converting software (for archival purposes), my ondesoft audiobook converter (for archival purposes), and my ODM keep working. I used WinODM on my Linux VM for a while, but after a while, something corrupted with the Wine/winetricks/Windows Media Player 10 install and it quit working, which is frustrating as all get out.

This thread is such a fun read for me, as I've been chipping away at using/learning Linux/FOSS for years (including trying to install a WiFi driving using ndiswrapper).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon