Reply to post: Re: Once.....

Apple emits emergency iOS security updates while warning holes may have been exploited in wild by hackers

Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Re: Once.....

Here goes anyway. I'm not an expert, but, iPhone 6, doesn't run the latest iOS but might get patched for this, if it doesn't then, yes, use it as a coaster. Also, look at the battery saver / power use setting. You'll remember - legal action is ingoing in Italy - that Apple were low-powering devices with older batteries through the OS to extend the life of the battery charge... also making them run slower than a new phone. And this was insufficiently publicised. Now the function is optional, so you need to turn it on to use it, I think.

Also, installing iOS in full is recommended, though I don't always do it on my 6s or 7 or whichever one I got to replace my 6. If you don't like iCloud, this involves installing iTunes, updating iTunes, connecting your phone to the PC, backing up, then letting iTunes download about 3GB plus of update then install it on the phone. Both of the last two steps take a while - several hours to download for me. I don't know if that repeats for more than one phone you'd hope not.

I'm patching now; the patch for UK wasn't available when I read the story on Tuesday evening. If the patch isn't offered to you, then maybe it is time to retire the device. You can check existence on the phone and then do the iTunes thing to get it if you prefer, or just go to iTunes first if you're lax about the backups, which you and I should do anyway.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon