Reply to post: I don't get it....

The killing of CentOS Linux: 'The CentOS board doesn't get to decide what Red Hat engineering teams do'

mlupo

I don't get it....

I switched my ~ 100 servers from CentOS 8 to CentOS 8 Stream on the day of the announcement in less than 10 minutes (looking at you Ansible). And I am running nightly yum update on all of them.

I just don't get what all the fuzz is about? You want free RHEL? Take CentOS Stream, it even comes without the 2 month delay of security patches as old CentOS. Or are you saying you want to stay on something that always struggled to keep up?

You go from free CentOS to *paid* Ubuntu, because Red Hat keeps investing in a free copy of their paid RHEL - you were never willing to buy - that is not months behind? But somehow they are now evil and you rather put your money into a company, that depend on their (benevolent) dictator, was never profitable and layed off tons of folks recently?

You rather go to Oracle - which still has to wait on RHEL to be released - or to one of the other - hopefully (keeps fingercrossed) soon released - RHEL rebuilds, that still need to wait on RHEL and will struggle to keep up? All because screw Red Hat, but each one of your alternatives still fully depends on Red Hat and so are you...

I don't get it...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon