Reply to post: Re: Still. The Farage Garage will be open for business on time.

It may date back to 1994 but there's no end in sight for the UK's Chief customs system as Brexit rules beckon

codejunky Silver badge

Re: Still. The Farage Garage will be open for business on time.

@John Robson

"We have chosen to move outside an existing border, such that it now exists between the UK and the EU - that is entirely our decision... nothing to do with the EU at all."

And we agree on that.

"From their perspective they are merely implementing the border which has already existed, but now in the new position which we have created."

And we agree on that to a point. I entirely make that my point, you seem to be claiming that its the UK who is making that border, but as you say and I agree its the EU's border. Their side. Thats the bit you seem stuck on over all this discussion.

"There is no way to have a purely technological border, there are plenty of technological approaches to paperwork that can help smooth the border, but physical checks are still needed..."

As we did in the single market. We still did checks, just not many.

Back to the covid train it seems the EU is again dictating to members and showing their loss of sovereignty-

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/health/covid19-vaccine-oxford-ireland-brexit-19672792

Ireland wants vaccine, EU says no. The assumption seems to be this is to somehow punish the UK for brexit although I am happy to assume its the usual power mad inflicting their will on the people. Add that to the agreement for members not to negotiate with vaccine companies that the EU is currently negotiating with (Germany trying to do this) and brexit is looking like a just in time escape.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon