Reply to post: Re: Held to a higher standard?

You would expect a qualified electrician to wire a building to spec, right? Trust... but verify

Boothy

Re: Held to a higher standard?

Also early 90s for myself. Used to do a lot of 1st and 2nd fixing with electrical/electronic equipment of various types and had similar issues to you with 'mains' cables etc. (Sometimes they'd burn through our cables as they pulled the heavier cables over ours!).

Most of our cabling was either standard telephone type cables, typically 6-core (i.e. 3 twisted pairs) most often, although sometimes we had larger twisted pair cables, and sometimes coax as well, depending on the equipment going in. Either way, this was fragile stuff in comparison with typical mains rated cables.

I soon decided to try to get whoever was in charge at the sites we were working at, to not just let us know when the 1st fixing window was available for us to start wiring (i.e. walls (and usually roof) up, but not plastered yet), but also let us know when the sparkies had completed their bit.

This meant less damaged cables for us, that we could stay away from the mains cables, and also any walls that needed breaching for cable runs, were often already done by the sparkies, so we didn't need to!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon