Reply to post: Re: "Old' and "solicitor" doesn't narrow things down...

You can drive a car with your feet, you can operate a sewing machine with your feet. Same goes for computers obviously

Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: "Old' and "solicitor" doesn't narrow things down...

Sending number might be traceable, but getting the destination right can be problematic

A large finance house in New Zealand had the same fax number as my residential number in another area code

in the 1990s I started getting annoying fax calls which didn't stop, so I attached a fax machine and out popped credit application after credit application with all kinds of sensitive information attached as branches in other cities faxed this stuff off to head office (none of the origin points were in my area code)

Phone calls and a lawyer letter to the company complaining and asking that they cease/desist were ignored for months

Faxing the applications back with "Application rejected, poor credit risk" in big fat marker over top (to the originating fax and the helpfully supplied number of the applicants) stopped it in 72 hours

This highlights the risks behind the reason why the NHS got ordered to stop using faxes.

These days I'd just take the faxes to the ICO and let them know of GDPR breaches by the senders. Back then the right sort of privacy laws didn't exist

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon