Reply to post: Yes. Hit meet nail head

Must 'completely free' mean 'hard to install'? Newbie gripe sparks some soul-searching among Debian community

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Yes. Hit meet nail head

As a pretty hopeless tinkerer, that is the big reason I have only ever tentatively titted around with Linux in one or other of its flavours.

I have had a go several times but I have never ever ended up with an install of which I could ever say ""bloody hell that's great. I'm gonna put that on a decent box and use it as my main machine." That has never happened to me. All too often something doesn't quite work, breaks, doesn't do what you thought it might, needs the entrails of a chicken read to predict what will happen next, has weird things needed (even "simple" stuff, like setting up a password only to have something pops to tell me I need a "Keychain" -wtf?), or you are told you "just need to use the command line" and are presented with instructions to type a sudo string of incomprehensible characters like "plop wee wee poo poos: grep paper -wipe -a -r -s -e" or somesuch.

I really, really hate to say this but please, can there be a distro that is as easy (relatively) to find, download, install, use, maintain and tweak, as Windows XP or 7. Linux mint hit closest but I still failed completely to understand what the bleeding hell I was doing, why I was doing it and what I shoud do to get out of the mess I found myself. Or indeed if I was in a mess at all.

Use the Mrs Miggins test. Get the office cleaner and the tea lady to have a go at installing and using. If they can't do it, you've got nothing more than a nerds special product and NOT a serious, polished operating system

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon