Reply to post: Systemd is not obscure or a blob

Must 'completely free' mean 'hard to install'? Newbie gripe sparks some soul-searching among Debian community

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Systemd is not obscure or a blob

I am sure that in many ways, systemd is neither obscure or blobby. However, it seems to me that it is a lot *more* obscure and blobby than any collection of more or less sensibly named shell scripts.

I wanted to get a debian install to do automatically a networking thing on boot up some time last year. After a few hours of reading systemd doco and tutorials &etc I just gave up without progress ... it really wasn't worth the candle. In contrast it would have taken me almost no time to get something functional working with a few lines in rc.appropriatenamehere.

I can believe that systemd might be excellent if you really cared about the design and implementation of handling startup stuff in an efficient and elegant manner. But I have different things I care about, but still want to get a few things working to my taste on startup, ... and systemd offers me not only no worthwhile advantages, but obscurity (or perhaps just poor documentation), and obstacles.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon