Reply to post:

Windows Product Activation – or just how many numbers we could get a user to tell us down the telephone

Binraider Silver badge

Separate changes, or done at the same time?

There was about a week between the two. 970GTX replaced by 5700XT. Adding the NVMe was the point I decided to do a re-install and things went wrong.

As a very long in the tooth Microsoft user/customer (like most of us, I suspect) the permanent-beta and crapshoot reliability are just one step too far. I've dabbled in linux for years, and these activation grumbles were the last straw. Mint is now my home PC, for all the plusses and minuses of that. I will only buy games that get linux releases or confirmed working hacks via Proton/Wine/Lutris.

I have one rather expensive program (Propellerhead Reason) in Windows that remains the only reason to have a working environment. I ask the developers at every opportunity where's the Linux release. It already exists on Mac. Or, if it doesn't move there are DAW's on Linux that might be worth a shot.

If enough people grumble and choose something else; eventually MS has to take notice, or they die. Either of those options are acceptable!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon