Reply to post:

Back to the office with you: 'Perhaps 5 days is too much family time' – Workday CEO

Michael Wojcik Silver badge

teleconferences are simply not good enough

Not everyone is you.

I've worked remotely for more than two decades. There are many remote employees in my organization. I've worked on multiple projects, with multiple teams and changes in membership. One of those teams, and some of its members, have been around the whole time; others have come and gone. Just as with working in person.

We have daily scheduled meetings, other regular meetings, and ad hoc meetings - just as with working in person. We've used a variety of technologies for those, going back to POTS. Some have been better than others, but they all worked.

We have phone calls and chats. Those work too.

Not everyone is us, either, of course. There was a piece in the November 2020 CACM by someone from SourceForge who's worked remotely for a long time (I don't recall the author at the moment, and I'm too lazy to look it up). He offered six tips (the article says five but there's a coda) for remote working. Most of them I don't agree with; they don't fit my preferences and work habits. But they work for him and his team.

Certainly other people don't work so well remotely. That's because people are different. Sweeping claims about remote work will pretty much always be rubbish.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon