Reply to post:

Back to the office with you: 'Perhaps 5 days is too much family time' – Workday CEO

Binraider Silver badge

Perhaps you find the act of writing down too slow and so you lose your train of thought, something that can be overcome through understanding your thinking style and applying structure and practice (eg. see the Pyramid Principle).

You are right, the principal problem is speed. Real world deadlines to get things done aren't compatible with the lengthy time out to do a slick presentation or a formal written report. Rolling goalposts don't help either - whether set internally or externally. Sure, the formal report will be there; but to explain it, to live with the consequences of it? Giving it to someone to read and saying there you go; it's just not the same.

The conversation is by far the most important aspect of my day to day work; either enabling others to do theirs, or getting my own objectives out the door. Teleconferencing or video calling covers most of that need. I find it breaks down the moment you need to make a sketch to explain an idea, which is probably half of all meetings. Pre-baked slides can help; but take time to prepare without overwhelming the audience in one step. Whereas a sketch and pen in hand you can much more quickly and easily gauge an audiences reaction and tailor accordingly.

Yes, virtual whiteboards are available but way more difficult to work with; mostly because of the trickiness in gauging reactions. While you're in your drawing application you're probably not looking at the videoconference screens.

The world does have bigger problems than my own needs for a whiteboard and indeed; when I was looking at the virus statistics before the government announced the first lockdown; my own (and others in the department's) conclusions were to close the office right now. I am absolutely an advocate of the current restrictions and indeed probably think they should have gone further pending getting a vaccine out. (Eat-out-to-help-out and spread the virus comes to mind...)

That still doesn't change my opinon that y work (and therefore anyone that uses my work) is compromised by the reduced communications that we're currently living with. Given "normal" freedom of movement, I would far rather be back in the office for communication reasons. Having boundaries between what is work and what is home is also important; those boundaries have very much been shattered by the current mess.

The option to WFH has been proven; but to mandate one or the other is just a fallacy. For the right kind of job (administrative production line) - no problem. For the wrong kind of job; the exchange of complex ideas; working in laboratories or with machine tools; clearly not viable. 9 months of restrictions to varying extents are now genuinely hampering my productivity; and therefore the companies productivity. Results may vary!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon