Reply to post: Now Vs soon

Back to the office with you: 'Perhaps 5 days is too much family time' – Workday CEO

0laf
Unhappy

Now Vs soon

I think we need to conder the needs of now and the needs of the near future (post lockdown world).

VC has worked to keep things going. If you commute a long way it's probably been a godsend.

But a VC meeting loses the social context of a meeting, the bit before and the bit after. The walk to the door is sometimes where a key piece of information can come together or slip out.

My real life meetings were usually punctuated by multiple "while you're here" ad hoc meetings and discussions. Those were very important and right now they are gone.

My partner was pregnant when the whole COVID mess kicked off so I've been 100% out of the office for nearly 11 months.

Home schooling is more of a disruption than anything else, well that and a baby that lacks stimulation because every mother and toddler group or event is closed.

We'll never go back to 100% office work. That's gone. We need to make massive savings to cope and building closures are going to be one way of doing it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon