Reply to post: re: net effect of this is no change European users

Signal boost: Secure chat app is wobbly at the moment. Not surprising after gaining 30m+ users in a week, though

Pseu Donyme

re: net effect of this is no change European users

Since I haven't given Facebook (or big tech in general) the benefit of doubt for years I'd assume they are trying to push something significant for European users as well. Otherwise it wouldn't make sense to push what amounts to no change with the obvious risk of an exodus if only because of the dick move of threatening termination of service to those not accepting the new T&Cs itself. (Btw, the weasel worded pr as in the shared information not used for marketing to European users begs the question of what exactly is it used for then).

Also, I wonder if what just happened to the embarrassment-in-chief has had an effect: if Facebook (and others) can do this to a sitting US president known to be very litigious - without comeback - they can do this to anyone on a whim i.e. it is best not to rely on Facebook (or the others) for anything important. Don't get me wrong: muting the EIB seems well warranted given the obvious potential of trouble much, much worse still and and if anything should have come sooner, it is just that there ought to be some sort of principled way for this sort of thing.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon