Reply to post: Re: Still. The Farage Garage will be open for business on time.

It may date back to 1994 but there's no end in sight for the UK's Chief customs system as Brexit rules beckon

John Robson Silver badge

Re: Still. The Farage Garage will be open for business on time.

"So you think you know what I am saying which is in contradiction to what I say I am saying and I am the one saying it."

OK - let's go back to first principles:

Do you think the UK needs a border (anywhere)?

As for finances... EY reckons that more than 7,500 jobs and at least £1.2tn of assets have been moved from Britain to the EU since the referendum in 2016...

Given that we haven't go ongoing stability, they're not coming back - and more will join them.

"It is a long read so you are forgiven for missing it. Search the word 'france' (second match) under the heading 'Storm of Outrage'. Also the word 'french' (second match) for why not enough working vaccine has been ordered."

That's not a failed vaccine, it's a vaccine which has seen a setback. That's what happens in research.

""Either we need to prevent the spread of the virus or we don't, which is it?"

We have to be practical. Vaccinating the vulnerable is now an option while before shielding them would have been a good idea (even that wasnt done very well). That way the rest of us low risk people can get on with life, which is required to have an economy which is required for almost everything in our lives."

The practical nature of virus transmission means that the "low risk" (which I disagree with your description of by the way) *must* work very hard to reduce transmission in order that the vulnerable members of society have a reasonable chance of avoiding the virus. If you carried on "as normal" then covid would have hospitalised so many that the NHS would have collapsed - indeed, it's pretty close at the moment with various hospitals running out of oxygen.

Additionally if you "carried on as normal" then transmission would cover basally 100% of the population in very short order, which would include the vulnerable members of society - since even shielding you need to have some contact with the world, you can't leave all the shopping outside for three days, some of it won't be fit for consumption after that.

It is absolutely vital for the benefit of those who are particularly vulnerable that the rest of society does its part.

It is absolutely vital to prevent total collapse of the NHS that the rest of society does its part.

Many of the vulnerable will also not be well covered by the vaccine - people who have suppressed immune systems have no idea how well they will respond to the vaccine. There is no data on the efficacy for those people... so they are getting vaccinated *and* continuing to shield.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon