Reply to post: Re: Communist = Nazist

It's been a day or so and nope, we still can't wrap our head around why GitHub would fire someone for saying Nazis were storming the US Capitol

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Communist = Nazist

While I wouldn't go so far as to put an outright equality sign (not only because my family having suffered substantially more under than the Nazis than under the Communists), I think the fact that LDS got so many downvotes starkly shows the informational deficiencies in "the West" regarding Communism.

Yes, in theory Nazism is overtly much more hostile to the "out-groups" than Communism. The basic tenets of Communism do not advocate outright genocide. But hey, guess what? Neither do the Nazi ones! Have you people never heard of neo-Nazis spouting apologist nonsense to the tune of "oh, we don't want to kill <GROUP X>, we just want them gone"?.

The fact is, however, that both Nazism and Communism have caused the deaths of millions of people, and both due to systemic genocide. And even if it wasn't systemic, so what? Do the millions of victims cared that, as the Soviet apologists say, Holodomor wasn't caused on purpose?

I think one of the reasons Communism is viewed more favorably in "the West" is the romantic perception that it's about class warfare. Well, if you think communists wouldn't pursue ethnic/religious groups in general, and haven't performed antisemitic purges in particular, are you in for a treat when you finally open a relevant history book!

There's a reason why, in some countries, Nazi and Soviet symbols are both considered expressions of hate speech.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon