Reply to post: Re: Small difference

We didn't collude with Twitter to throw Parler off our servers, says AWS in court filing

Muppet Boss
Holmes

Re: Small difference

>Hint: Trump was not banned for any one specific post.

>He was banned for his cumulative asshattery.

Mate just check out Supreme Ayatolla's entertaining twitter feed. This chap (well, technically his PR/SMM guy) is wishing death to Israel, insults Jews and glorifies jihad for 11 years so far, and Twitter does not see a problem with that. I am careful to not send direct links or they will ban me here, just check for yourself ;)

I understand this is all pure politics, US big tech and social media hate Trump (well, apparently for a reason) and he 'hates them back' so it was a great chance for them to bite him as he falls. But they do not seem to understand global consequences.

On one hand, there will be paranoia about the US interfering with national sovereignty though American tech companies. Governments are very sensitive about that, you know. It means, there will be further restrictions to the Internet freedoms worldwide and while I do not care how heavily Facebook & Co are regulated (they deserve that), there will be collateral damage to general Internet freedoms, more government tracking etc.

On the other hand, a strong precedent and example is set for other governments how to silence protests. Someone planning a protest meeting? A helpful private company will ban them, this is not censorship, they are planning violence and violating T&Cs. Facebook & friends will be forced by foreign governments to ban protests groups now, mind my words, and they will have nothing to say or risk being accused of conspiring to incite violence.

Big tech companies just opened a Pandora box, they cannot pretend to be neutral now, they will be forced to censor, ban and cooperate after what they did. I do not care about what happens in the US but what they did is likely going to influence my world, and the whole world, and I am unhappy about that.

And yet one more example that running in the Cloud is like building on sand.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon