Reply to post: Re: US came within inches of losing democracy

Salesforce relieves Republican National Committee of its tools citing 'risk of politically incited violence' across the US

Jellied Eel Silver badge

Re: US came within inches of losing democracy

and while one Pennsylvania court did grant the campaign a win by ordering that poll watchers can move closer to election workers, the Pennsylvania Supreme Court later overturned the ruling.

So like I said. What's the point of having election observers if they can't actually observe anything? Or for your other points, dismissing cases for lack of evidence. But not actually bothering to investigate if there was any evidence. Ok, that's not always the court's job, although courts can appoint or direct investigators.

But back to an IT angle, Dominion's filed against Powell demanding $1bn+ in damages to it's reputation. So assuming ongoing investigations find evidence of fraud/irregularities wrt voting machines, Powell can present that.. And Dominion can't necessarily just drop their claim given that would create the appearence of a frivolous or malicious lawsuit. It'll probably be a lot easier to show harm and actual damages in the case of Salesforce, or Parler though.

And on an IT angle, in the UK, where I've been an election scrutineer, as I understand it, ballot papers are counted, then the papers are sealed back up, and buried in a salt mine. Just in case they're needed for any future investigation. With e-voting/counting, audit trails seem somewhat lacking. But presumably possible to improve, eg having firmware/sofware/results on a removable element that could be buried with any physical ballots.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon