Reply to post: Re: An elephant in the room

Loser Trump is no longer useful to Twitter, entire account deleted over fears he'll whip up more mayhem

FIA Silver badge

Re: An elephant in the room

Remember, it was the USA that bailed you folks out in WWII.

Oh, ffs, are people still trotting this tired old trope out? Why do people reference history whilst never learning the lessons it should be teaching us.

Just to be clear, the parents and grandparents (and great grandparents, and probably great great grandparents in some cases) of the people here banded together to defeat a common enemy, many of them died doing it (most of whom were Russian). Most of these people are now dead and I'd be damn suprised if the Register had any in it's commentards. :) No-one here bailed anyone out of much in WW-II.

It's understandable in the aftermath of such a tragic event that nationalistic pride will shine through. (Who pours their derision into the next generation of school children after all). Hell, I'm British and I was certanly taught how we won the war at school. However much more time has past and a more balanced perspective is probably now due, lets celebrate the efforts of the people involved, not where they were born.

WWII was won by colaboration, and to reduce that victory to 'My country's better than your country' misses the point of all those people dying, on both sides.

It's also the reason the damn thing kicked off in the first place.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon