Reply to post: I'm not optimistic

Failed insurrection aside, Biden is going to be president in two weeks. What does it mean for tech policy?

martinusher Silver badge

I'm not optimistic

I don't think anything will change because the people involved -- be it Trump, Biden or whoever -- haven't a real clue what's going on or why, they have to rely on advisers. Add to this the notion that the Federal governemnt is in such a mess that unwinding sanctions (many enthusiastically supported by Democrats) and entity list entries (ditto) will be a fair way down the ToDo list. Its going to take all of the energy of the incoming Administration to just stabilize the situation and restore some measure of integrity to the government. (Its reckoned to be a similar situation to Ford after Nixon; I think the place is in far more of a shables than post-Nixon.)

I don't know the exact motivations of the rioters yesterday, I suppose they figured that if they delayed the formal counting of the electoral college votes then Trump would remain President indefinitely. This isn't what would happen -- if for some reason Congress fails to finish counting these votes by the 20th then the Speaker of the House -- Nancy Pelosi -- assumes the role of President until the task is complted.

The scenes yesterday looked like yet another color revolution. (Some wag pointed out that all that was missing is Victoria Nuland and her cookies.) Its actually a bit pointless to do this in the US because of the diffuse mechanism of government. Unlike many countries where you just capture a handful of key buildings and (usually with the cooperation of the military) you're the new government in the US all that would happen is that you end up damaging some historic buildings. Government will just go on around, and despite, you. This is what gave rise to the myth of the Deep State -- its not a conspiracy so much as "All of Us". What we did experience -- and have been experiencing for the last few years -- is a bona fide capture of our government by non-democratic interests, aided and abetted by a political party that really should know better. I hope the lesson has been well learned.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon