Reply to post: Re: Artificial problem generators

Be careful where you log into GitHub: Dev visits Iran, opens laptop, gets startup's entire account shut down

Unicornpiss

Re: Artificial problem generators

I understand the spirit in which you made your post. And on paper (or electrons), it almost looks like a 'Bill of Rights' of sorts. The problem is that not everyone is ethical, many are stupid, prejudiced, mentally unstable, violent by nature or molded that way by life experiences, or just plain misinformed. And very few are altruistic. And quite a few are way too lazy to do the right thing if it inconveniences them even slightly. So despite being somewhere between liberal and moderate, I unfortunately have to say that we do need controls in place to keep the less well behaved people from impinging on the freedoms and lives of others, and/or from hurting people and destroying things that others care about.

You may have just misspoke (or I may be misinterpreting) when you said: "The freedom to just do it and see what happens versus settling for a predicted norm." But to take a page from current events, all the idiots that won't wear a mask or distance themselves because their 'freedom' is being threatened are certainly a headache (or possibly even a death sentence) to those of us that are just trying to get through this mess and realize that common sense and good judgement must always be applied, even when so many seem to have been born lacking any. There might be a time and place to heckle your brother about his affair with a stripper, but it probably isn't while making the toast at his wedding.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon