Reply to post: Re: Still. The Farage Garage will be open for business on time.

It may date back to 1994 but there's no end in sight for the UK's Chief customs system as Brexit rules beckon

John Robson Silver badge

Re: Still. The Farage Garage will be open for business on time.

"So even in your own metaphor the EU is locking the door because we leave, aka the UK is not the one making the hard border. And yes we are free to leave and they are free to lock the door."

The lock was already there, we are choosing to move outside it. Obviously in the case of countries which are immobile (at least on reasonable timescales) that actually means that the gym wall (or border) moves.

We are moving the wall, including the locked door, between us and the EU.

"You said contraction in the economy."

I did, and any suggestion that that is purely related to our massive under-response to the current global pandemic is patently absurd. I don't think multinationals pulling out the UK before Covid19 had been identified were citing Brexit as a bluff to cover for Covid related issues.

The contraction I was referring to was the one we are about to experience as a result of no longer having a close trading relationship with one of the top three economies in the world - and more importantly the top three economy that makes up virtually all of of our geographic neighbours for more than a thousand miles in every direction.

No doubt the current governments lack of ability to make a decision and form a coherent plan (or even sentence) will cause the covid related economic contraction to continue far deeper and longer than it would otherwise have done - but none of that will change the damage which has been done, and will start to show over the next few years, particularly as the clowns decide to diverge from standards and therefore have tariffs and quotas imposed, oh, and simultaneously lose access to the financial services markets - they can't be significant to the UK can they? It's not like they have any special mention in the current deal...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon