Reply to post: Re: Still. The Farage Garage will be open for business on time.

It may date back to 1994 but there's no end in sight for the UK's Chief customs system as Brexit rules beckon

codejunky Silver badge

Re: Still. The Farage Garage will be open for business on time.

@John Robson

"Nope - the Countries in the EU have far more control over their own borders than we have ever tried to apply."

Now you move the goalpost. So members dont have control of their border, just more than we applied while a member?

"If we diverge from the customs union then a border is required - or have you still not worked that out?"

I have no problem with the working out, that is why your arguments havnt held water yet. Simply the reason for a border is because of the EU protectionist block which some people do see as a positive. By leaving the EU protectionist block the EU mandates a hard border. Not the UK. Just as the agreement seems to have put a border in the sea between the UK and Ireland (what a sell out) other options could be negotiated. But its the EU insisting on that border.

That you cant get that isnt my failing.

"Sorry - what are you even talking about"

I was showing the contradictory logic you applied. Open but closed. Closed but open. Doesnt work.

"43% of the UK voted for brexit supporting parties"

Go on. Amuse me. Which vote and what were the votes for the other parties? The outcome of course being majority brexit but lets have a laugh.

"Yes - it is a logical extension of the tories desires. They have been dismantling the NHS for decades"

Except Labour privatised more of the NHS than anyone previously. Since the tories have only had power for a decade and part of that in coalition they havnt had decades to do it. Labour having a decade previous to that and pissed money up the wall on the NHS.

"Given the expected contraction of the economy we won't have the money to continue with the basic rights we currently enjoy, and they will be stripped away to make even more profit for the few who make those decisions."

Given the contraction is due to covid the answer being to open up the economy. The good news is we now see the damage of shutting down the market and government control so should make a strong leap in the opposite direction. Getting the vaccine so quickly in this country being a benefit to reopening.

"leading to a significant rejoin movement before the 2024 election cycle"

That would be funny. I cant see many wanting to join the Euro area as it continues its death spiral. Scotlands hopes were to leave the UK, join the EU but keep the opt out of the Euro. Even the Scot Nats with their naff economic plan were at least that clued up!

"It'll take another few years to convince the EU that we're even worth listening to, and we'll never get as good a deal as we had before, but it would still be better than being outside the EU."

Except we didnt like being in it even with opt outs.

"Given that we have now left, and are no longer subject to EU laws (assuming we want to retain trade with them of course) what have we done that we couldn't have done previously?"

We have literally just left and you ask what we have done? But why cant we trade while making our own laws? Does the EU not trade beyond its protectionist block? And if not then why would we want to be trapped in it?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon