Reply to post: MS, how about recognising EXT,HFS+ formats so it doesn't result in the format dialog box. FFS 2021.

Explained: The thinking behind the 32GB Windows Format limit on FAT32

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

MS, how about recognising EXT,HFS+ formats so it doesn't result in the format dialog box. FFS 2021.

I have to use 4 different OS's as part of my job, yes, you can use exFAT, FAT32 across these, but it's about time Windows 10 20H2 could recognise these 'unrecognised file systems' and at least exit showing the format type instead, instead of offering a very dated modal format dialog box, which can accidentally result in formatting the bloody thing (usb drive) if you're not careful, as the focus is left dangerously on the 'Format disk" as the default choice.

Come on Microsoft, sort it, you have an underlying Linux shell in Windows 10 20H2 FFS, this has gone beyond a joke. I get it, its aimed to keep people within the Windows ecosystem, but it's a bloody annoying modal dialog box, there has to be a better way of dealing with unrecognised formats.

It's such a poor interface design in 2020, we all have to use different OS's in 2021, as part of our day jobs.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon