Reply to post: Re: HOWTO: hack their voting machines

Trump administration says Russia behind SolarWinds hack. Trump himself begs to differ

Anonymous Coward
Boffin

Re: HOWTO: hack their voting machines

Quick example off the top of my head: in Australia it's illegal to NOT vote. If you don't vote, you either demonstrate and prove a bloody good reason or you get fined or potentially jailed. American Federal elections' voting participation rate is historically 40-60%, very consistently and usually on the low end. THIS election : all the NON Swing States came in bang on normal. But the *5* (not 4) Democrat-determinef Swing States all came in massively inflated. Wisconsin, eg, had ~same voting rate as Australia's Federal election last year under Criminal-Law-enforced compulsory voting. (90vs92%) ... Ummm. ... Nope.

I can't work out whether you're too stupid to realise that other people can do the maths as well and realise you are lying, too stupid to do the maths at all, being paid by someone (who?) to lie, or what: perhaps you're just pretending to be clever to show off or something?

Because, you know, other people can do the maths. I took a list of swing states from some site called 'actblue' who I have no idea who they are but I'm guessing 'closely related to the Democrats' based on their name. There are seven of them and most of the members agree with most of the other lists I found.

Average turnout for all states (averaged over state) was 60.8%. Average swing-state turnout was 63.0%. So about 2.2% above the all-state average. Which ... is exactly what you would expect: since your vote actually counts in a swing state then the parties will work harder to get people to vote and more people will vote. What this certainly is not is a 'massively inflated' turnout: that's just a lie.

You can also just plot the data: none of the top four states by turnout were swing states; one of the top ten states by turnout was a swing state (Wisconsin). All but one (Arizona) of the swing states was in the top 30 by turnout.

If you remove Arizona (the lowest-turnout swing state) from the list of swing states you get a bump of 3.6% for swing-state turnout: still anything but 'massively inflated' given that turnouts vary by about 32% (from 42.3% to 74.1%).

I can make the code and data that generated the plot available. The code is not very complicated.

So, please stop lying, or just learn to think. People will pick you up on your lies.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon