Reply to post: Re: Jeebus. Not even Clorox --

Yes, Microsoft Access was a recalcitrant beast, but the first step is to turn the computer on

Palpy

Re: Jeebus. Not even Clorox --

-- fades those memories.

Similarly, in the mid-Nineties the IT at the utility at which I worked informed my work section that, as we were leaving Lotus 1-2-3 behind and slipping into Microsoft's bed, they would not be building an interface for our lab and field data. Ya, uh-huh, hello Access. In the hands of motivated but ignorant industrial operators.

Oh, we knew the Access thing we spawned was a mess. Every few years my manager would send out a Request For Proposal to purchase a professionally-programmed package, and every time the price tag sent the entire staff into black despair just short of mass suicide.

By the time I got my 30 years in, I had migrated a major area of data into an SQLite database with a .net front-end (may Cthulhu forgive me my many sins along the way), and the rest of the lab data had been shoehorned into a proprietary framework offered as a sideline by a chemical analysis company. It had to interface with the SQLite via a .csv export... See, I begin to shake even writing about it. The spaghetti architecture, the horror, the horror. Is this digital blood upon my hands??

I echo the advice of Will Godfrey: RETIRE! At once. Or find a position with a sensible firm.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon