Reply to post: Re: Yes the wonders of continual updates......Waterfall?...

Buggy chkdsk in Windows update that caused boot failures and damaged file systems has been fixed

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Yes the wonders of continual updates......Waterfall?...

Well in my 40 odd years in the business the only time I saw Waterfall was for government contracts. Which is why almost all are such disasters. Everyone else used Spiral. Either deliberately or inadvertently. Because Spiral ships good product (that works) in a reasonable time frame without pointless death marches.

As for Agile my opinion of it has not changed in the last 20 plus years since it first reared its it ugly head back in the '90's. Under a different name. Agile means that none of the people on the team knows how to write a proper full spec for the project, architectural and implementation, and no one involved knows how to actually manage a team properly for the full development cycle. Which for any non trivial projects I've been involved with is at least 12 to 18 months and about 5 to 10 man years of work. Agile is just an obfuscating terminology invented by BS artists so they can do lots of hand-waving in front of white boards to equally BS middle / upper management types and pretend that they are actually doing real worthwhile development work. Whereas the final shipped results for Agile projects is just a permanent late alpha / early beta product.

If the results of Agile was a solid late beta it would not be so quite bad. But its almost always late alpha / early beta. When I find an actual beta that's halfway stable I stick to that and never upgrade unless there is a very very good reason to do it.

Written on a machine running Win7 SP1 and an old version of Firefox and seeing zero reason to upgrade either anytime soon.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon