Reply to post: Re: Trickledown economics

'Following the science' rhetoric led to delay to UK COVID-19 lockdown, face mask rules

Rich 11

Re: Trickledown economics

You really do have this all wrong. Please try reading a bit more about the subject. I know from your previous comments that you're about the same age as I am, and were therefore very likely exposed to the idea of Reaganomics and George H W Bush's rejection of it as voodoo economics just as much as I was (or more, given that I'm in the UK). The consistently high numbers of downvotes you're getting should tell you that your understanding of the matter is incorrect as a matter of fact, not of opinion.

I'm only going to respond to one particular point, because it's so blatantly short-sighted.

So the rich keep hold of the money by spending it (to get the asset). So where did that money go? To the previous holder of the asset. Who used it to fund their lifestyle. Paying many down the chain.

Where does the money go? Generally to purchase other assets, for the same reason that the original buyer bought assets rather than funded their lifestyle. Unless the economy is in an asset crash (housing market, tulip bubble, currency slump), in which case they'll buy gold or just move money offshore and sit it out.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon