Reply to post:

'Best tech employer of the year' threatened trainee with £15k penalty fee for quitting to look after his sick mum

JimboSmith Silver badge

In one industry I worked in there was a very prestigious awards ceremony. You couldn't "win" the award through advertising with anyone it really was done on the judges decision. One year we were nominated for an award which was nice. I was on the nominated team so went to the top London hotel which was hosting the dinner in their ballroom. The food (for vegetarians) was a meatless kiev that had been cooked to death. My knife didn't work with a sawing action on the breadcrumb encrusted horror. Instead I placed it vertically over the central hump of the thing and then hit it with my fist repeatedly. It took a few attempts but when it did eventually crack my plate was a sea of melted garlic butter. Inedible doesn't do it justice and I just ate the watery veg that were served with the meal. Everyone found it funny, we even emailed the company head of legal to enquire as to my rights in such a situation. Sadly he didn't see it until 9am as he didn't check his BlackBerry.

I had a halloumi burger on the way home I vowed I wouldn't go again because the food was so crap and the ticket so expensive. We didn't win and the next time we were nominated we won but I wasn't there to see it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon