Reply to post: Re: The Institute for Government, a bunch of non-scientists

'Following the science' rhetoric led to delay to UK COVID-19 lockdown, face mask rules

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: The Institute for Government, a bunch of non-scientists

For the UK timelines:

- My wife and I (working for separate London-based companies) were told to work from home from the 9th of March and had had work meetings cancelled if they involved international travel from the middle of February. i.e. there was some awareness at this point.

- 12th March NHS advise COVID testing to be restricted due to capacity being exceeded.

- Matt Hancock claims his statement "to avoid social contact and stay home" was the start of lock down.on the 16th of March. This claim is difficult to support due to Cheltenham proceeding along with other sporting events.

- the WHO director general advised physical distancing along with "isolate, test, treat and trace" on the 18th of March. I believe this is the statement you are referring to.

- Boris Johnsons told people "they “must” stay at home and said that "we will immediately" close some businesses" is considered the "formal" start of lockdown 1 on the 23rd of March.

- the WHO formally advised lock downs on the 16th of April

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon