Reply to post:

What does my neighbour's Tesla have in common with a stairlift?

Hubert Thrunge Jr.

I be in East Anglear.

My main client has a fleet of six Nissan electric vans that sit at their central workshop pretty much un-used because they can't do a round trip (loaded at sensible road speed) from Mildenhall to Norwich and back. Two trips to Cambridge (about 28 miles each way) and they're flat - when used to ferry people so are empty of kit.

Hydrogen is the answer - stop looking at "blue" hydrogen, it's "green" hydrogen you should be looking at, using solar and wind power to provide the electricity to split water molecules.

As for bio-fuels, using algae requires no land. And biomass fermentation can be done using waste, not prime food crops or land.

Porsche are looking at synthetic fuels too. The infernal consumption engine should not be written off so quickly.

I feel this whole mad race to electric cars by 2030 is a folly. The UK does not have enough generating capacity to cope with it, even if only half of the daily road users convert to leccy cars, unless you only want to work 3 days a week, and have power cuts from 8pm so there's enough to charge Mr Smug's Tesla down the road. People keep comparing us with Norway when it comes to electric car take-up. They have over five times the generating capacity we do in terms of KWh / punter.

As for Monsuier Tesla..... Merde, it 'appens!

And when we've got rid of all of this carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, what will the plants "eat"?

King Kanute politics gone mad.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon