Reply to post: Re: Accounts with HSBC

Pure frustration: What happens when someone uses your email address to sign up for PayPal, car hire, doctors, security systems and more

MachDiamond Silver badge

Re: Accounts with HSBC

" i.e. calling yourself by someone else's name is not a crime in UK "

That sounds about right. The only time a crime is committed is if you use that alias for fraud. Simply representing yourself using somebody else's name and information in itself isn't a crime.

That loophole needs to be closed up. There isn't a good reason for claiming to be somebody else unless you plan to commit some sort of fraud. That said, if somebody walks up to me that I don't recognize and asks my name, I'll lie as a matter of course. I'll make a name up if a clerk wants one to put it on a take away order (I always pay cash). That sort of thing is different than saying I'm Bob Smith and I live at 123 Main St. when I'm not the "real" Bob Smith.

You'd think the police would take more interest in reports of identity theft as that's the first step in pilfering somebody's money and the faster they get on it, the less damage that might be done. It tells me that I need to look to see my accounts have been dipped into or a new credit card has been issued, etc. I might even be tempted to clear out and close accounts as a preventative measure.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon