Reply to post: Re: Still. The Farage Garage will be open for business on time.

It may date back to 1994 but there's no end in sight for the UK's Chief customs system as Brexit rules beckon

John Robson Silver badge

Re: Still. The Farage Garage will be open for business on time.

The level playing field is one of those things that underpins the concept of frictionless trade. This has always been the case, and you don't get to claim that anyone other than the Farage followers have said anything else at any point.

You can't leave the golf club and then complain that you aren't allowed in the bar any more.

Tax/Welfare/Legislation are not tariffs. Wales and Scotland diverge in both welfare and legislation from the UK, yet we have no tariffs, and therefore no border is required.

If you have divergence in standards and/or tariffs applied then you need a border on which to check that these are being correctly applied.

The whole point of brexit was to get better trade deals - what we have with Japan is not better in any way, and according the negotiating team is worse. Your inability to find a single thing in it which is beneficial is telling.

Well since the current UK.gov catchphrase is "don't wanna", similar to a hangry toddler, I'm not surprised at recent events. Let's look at a more representative sample - the duration of our membership. Most of the times when something has been pointed out as an EU rule someone didn't like I find that it was proposed by the UK. Other times it was strongly supported by the UK.

What percentage of EU regulations do you think we have opposed? Because regulations we supported are not in any way reducing our ability to rule.

There is no way to refute an opinion which has no basis in reality - I await my unicorn delivery.

"The UK is in a bad position with our covid overreaction"

Erm, I'm sorry, did I miss something? Our reaction been woefully inadequate, as evidenced by the relatively high number of deaths, and the insanely slow reaction of UK.gov to any advice. The T&T system was to be the benchmark of success, and was quietly taken behind the shed and shot after six or seven months of nothing and the current one is woefully inadequate still. We even paid half a billion pounds to encourage the spread of covid.

As an island nation we should have one of the easiest quarantine opportunities on the planet, and yet we have never managed to get infections under control - I've lost track of what week of lockdown we are in (without defining tier0 as no restrictions and putting everyone in tiers 7/8/9 it's clear that this is still lockdown).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon