Reply to post: Re: Dear Courts. No. Go away.

Court orders encrypted email biz Tutanota to build a backdoor in user's mailbox, founder says 'this is absurd'

rg287

Re: Dear Courts. No. Go away.

Look at the spycops history in the UK, in many cases peaceful idealist protest groups persecuted by the state, infiltrated by the police for decades (& ironically the infiltrators trying to stir up illegal behaviour in true agent provocateur style)

Illegally so, as it transpires. Why on earth would you conflate such Stasi-like infiltrations with the Police quite transparently seeking a warrant through an independent judiciary? Totally different actions. The former is abhorrent, the latter is how investigations should be done.

You have a naïve view that all police / state actions are legitimate

I categorically do not, and you could not possibly infer that from anything I have said. Reading isn't that difficult. I have suggested that a Police application for access to data through the proper judicial process is not something to be up in arms about (compared say, with Police asking for Tutanota's TLS keys and just dragnetting all traffic in and out of the service - which would obviously be disproportionate and indefensible).

The Police can get a search warrant for your home. They can seize your computers, devices and any paperwork they find. They can - with the right paperwork - apply to your bank for records. Given the nature of digital data storage, it is entirely reasonable that (with proper judicial oversight) they be able to access account data from other businesses on a specific and limited per-account basis.

Such access would not include getting a "self-service" backdoor into services, but would include a business (like Tutanota) passing up data about named accounts when served with a lawful court order.

Your email provider is not going to go to prison for you, and it is naive to think they might.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon