Reply to post: Re: Freely available hacking tools

Cybersecurity giant FireEye says it was hacked by govt-backed spies who stole its crown-jewels hacking tools

amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: Freely available hacking tools

Nation state actors are not one skill level. I typically divide them into three teams (A, B, C) based on my experiences observing such. The C team was nothing more than script kiddies running straight from well traceable IPs. The B team was moderate sophistication, but still detectable, nothing a high end defensive tool couldn't detect and deal with as long as my team (I was on the security team that saw the alerts an tuned the tools) was on its game....... mmccul

And the very best in those AAA teams, mmccul? Can one do any better than pay them their worthy Danegeld to ensure and be assured that you be insured against their taking any irrevocable, directly unattributable, catastrophically destructive and extremely disruptive, Remote Stealthy ACTion/Advanced Cyber Threat activity against oneself and those wider interests which feed and maintain one's lifestyle and which also generate, sustain and retain one's interests? Or does such a friend/foe not actually exist?

One is wise to take note, as has been alluded to by at least two commentards on this string, and as is also shared by Conrad Prince and James Sullivan in the Royal United Services Institute for Defence and Security Studies Briefing Paper, The UK Cyber Strategy/Challenges for the Next Phase ......

The capabilities of some state actors are likely to be beyond the scope of normal private sector security protections to address.

........ and that itself is best recognised as a monumental understatement of titanic proportion.

And failures in positive engagement and extensive and expensive endowment to such Stealthy AAA State ACTivity are a real and present danger and abiding existential threat to the pleasant contiguous workings of current fiat capital and intellectual property flow markets, and as such are something to be fully prepared for if one is guilty of such a crime and failing.

And although that all might sound quite draconian, it does not necessarily have to be, for you have been left a great choice.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon