Reply to post:

Life after proprietary wares: German support biz flees IBM Db2 databases for something more Postgres-shaped

Charlie Clark Silver badge

There's also a big difference in the user experience: users are usually far less senstive to the OS or server software than they are to a new brand (or even just a new version) of their desktop software. And, much as I like OpenOffice myself, it's difficult to argue that Microsoft hasn't learned some lessons and focussed on better versions of its office software.

When it comes to databases, I'm pretty sure the 80/20 rule would apply: 80% of any companies databases could run on pretty much any RDBMS; the other 20% might take some, or even a lot, of work.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

  • Enter your comment

  • Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon