Reply to post: Re: Headline-whoring

Apple's M1: the fastest and bestest ever silicon = revolution? Nah, there's far more interesting stuff happening in tech that matters to everyone

Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Headline-whoring

I recall a bit of common wisdom from circa 1990: The 80486 was the best CISC CPU ever, and the i860 was the worst RISC design ever, but the 860 still outperformed the 486. (I said it was common; I didn't say it was right. But there was a grain of truth in it: despite its design flaws, the 860 managed 5-10 times the MFLOPS of the 486, so if floating-point was what you wanted...)

I believe the IBM z10 was still true CISC, dispatching the actual zArchitecture CISC instructions to the cores (based in part on this IJRD article).

That was 2009, though. The current z CPU is the z15, and this writeup mentions "CISC instruction cracking" in one of the illustrations, which certainly sounds like the pipeline is decoding CISC instructions into simpler ones.

That would also make sense because z10 is superscalar but in-order, while z15 is out-of-order. It's generally easier to reorder RISCy instructions.

z has over a thousand opcodes, between the public instructions and the special ones used in microcode. Going to RISC cores was probably inevitable. z10 cores were big - a thousand opcodes means a lot of gates.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon