Reply to post: Same problem here

Pure frustration: What happens when someone uses your email address to sign up for PayPal, car hire, doctors, security systems and more

CountCadaver Silver badge

Same problem here

I get everything from emails from National Australia Bank (no way of contacting bar phoning Australia) to offering jobs as cardiac surgeons (was tempted to apply given the hefty salary and then find ways to "observe" rather than do the actual hacking and slashing), US military emails (fucking nightmare getting them stopped despite highlighting PERSEC, highlighting it to various SNCOs got me sneered at, took me using the base commander's email for anything to get done, got a reply from a Major profusely apologising and asking me to let him know if it happened again), car hires, paypal (still haven't got that stopped and concerns about effect it would have on my credit score), AT&T/DirectTV ($600+ arrears notices), Frontier Internet (who said they couldn't stop the emails due to "data protection" and I "wasn't their customer"), emails from the Phillipines using mine as a recovery address (think my email was on some haxors forum given the myriad of uses it gets put to).

Some companies make it a doddle "not you? click here to remove your email address", other's a total and utter nightmare with no consideration of the risk of identity theft and damage to credit score (wouldn't surprise me to find that email address is already something they use to match people and formulate their credit rating)

How hard is it to send a "verify your email to activate your account"???

Paypal sends the email but still allows the account to be used without the verify email button being clicked - what the fuck is point of that???

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon