Reply to post: Shortsighted analysis

Apple's M1: the fastest and bestest ever silicon = revolution? Nah, there's far more interesting stuff happening in tech that matters to everyone

Ciaran McHale

Shortsighted analysis

If the only laptop/desktop products Apple were to make with its new silicon were the three already released, then the author of the article might have a point. But it seems likely that Apple will release desktop/workstation machines with even faster silicon and more RAM. Some people will appreciate faster webpage loading or faster games, but the big win for Apple is likely to come from niche application areas in which an Apple silicon-based computer is as fast as other computers costing, say, five times as much. Machine learning (ML) might be such a niche area: https://www.zdnet.com/article/the-new-m1-macs-make-cutting-edge-machine-learning-workstations/

Although ML is niche, it is a large and quickly growing niche. Perhaps Apple will even produce blades containing multiple SOCs for use in data centres. If Apple can compete successfully in the ML/data-centre niches, expect its stock price to rise significantly. And also expect other CPU manufacturers to start designing CPU+GPU+RAM SOCs to compete against Apple silicon. So, yes, I would say Apple Silicon has a good chance of being revolutionary.

For what it's worth, I don't own any Apple products (I prefer Linux and use a dumb phone).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon