Reply to post: Re: We strongly support the rights our employees have in the workplace

Labor watchdog accuses Google of illegally firing staff in union-busting push – as AI ethics guru Dr Timnit Gebru is pushed out

martinusher Silver badge

Re: We strongly support the rights our employees have in the workplace

AFAIK -- and I work in California -- you don't have any discernable rights in the workplace. California is a 'right to work' state which is a rather Orwellian way of saying "they can fire you at any time, no reason or notice period needed". (The worker has the same right to leave the job at any time but........)

The "AI Ethics Guru" went against corporate policy, was corrected by her supervisor and proceeded to do that because, dammit, she has rights and who is the corporation to tell me what to do (&tc.). The outcome was predictable. Speaking personally, with no knowledge of this person, the job or the company, I'd be pleased to be rid of her. Its not personal but as anyone who's worked on the sharp end knows the work attracts all sorts of marketing and management types who like to look after you and incidentally mooch off any kudos that's going. They're an irritant. (Diversity isn't an issue, either -- this type of workforce will take anything vaguely humanoid (and some can be fairly near the edge -- "Colon the Coder") provided they can do the work. Its the moochers that tend to argue about the spoils.)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon