Reply to post: apps or pages

Android devs: If you're using the Google Play Core Library, update it against this remote file inclusion CVE. Pronto

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

apps or pages

yearly I have to review phone security and make company recommendations. Every year this recommendation is the same, but with more data to back my summary. Android should have been one of the most secure Linux mini OS developed, but it's exploitable by design to grant data collecting for marketing by the main developer goog. This has led to constant patching tying to block bad guys yet keep analytic data accessible. It's not secure, and can't be by design for analytics. iPhones seem a little less exploitable, but still not trustworthy enough to put on the corp network unless we manage/restrict apps - and that isn't happening.

There is so much room for this product category to mature, but I don't think that can happen while a marketing company is at the helm of software development and not security.

I've seen some good small phone OS companies, but it's not something adoptable for us, and no matter what, people don't like being told they can't install apps as they please.

I might be the only person I know that doesn't have any non stock apps, web pages in place of apps works without managing. I have a shortcut for weather and what not. Besides, I spend all day at a PC, so I keep my phone as a phone. That doesn't work for everyone - for many people it's their only internet device.

anyways, fingers crossed security becomes as important to goog as marketing data is. (but I ain't hodin my breath) whatever.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon