Reply to post: Re: Still. The Farage Garage will be open for business on time.

It may date back to 1994 but there's no end in sight for the UK's Chief customs system as Brexit rules beckon

John Robson Silver badge

Re: Still. The Farage Garage will be open for business on time.

You think the TLD thing was a fiasco?

It was always their policy that EU domains were for EU based entities only... if you leave the club you lose access to everything that club provides.

The Euro already is a GRC, with 4-5 times the presence of sterling, despite it's relative youth.

The EU have maintained a sensible, and open, policy with regard to negotiations, they have put forward proposals and what has the UK done? Said "We don't like that", and not suggested anything in return.

If you want to look at who is looking globally immature then I suggest you look at the UK, not the EU.

We've rolled over nearly 1/6th of our old EU trade agreements (by value), which represent less than 10% of our total trade. We will have WTO only trade with >40% of our trade in four weeks time, and since there now isn't really time to ratify an agreement, no real prospect of getting one with most of that.

The lack of understanding around NI means that a US deal isn't exactly forthcoming either

That's not a success story - it's a colossal failure. The EU offered an extension to the transition period to allow governments to focus on the pandemic, but no - our oven ready deal was too important. Just a shame that "oven ready" meant "I assume someone else will do the work", not "I've got a deal prepared".

EU trade deals are complex beasts, as are *all* international trade deals - but most of them require unanimous approval - so they don't "force" many trade deals on any member state, they don't have the power to do so.

I'm quite happy to stop - no-one else is listening and it looks like neither of us is going to say anything that the other considers relevant.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon