Reply to post: Re: Still. The Farage Garage will be open for business on time.

It may date back to 1994 but there's no end in sight for the UK's Chief customs system as Brexit rules beckon

codejunky Silver badge

Re: Still. The Farage Garage will be open for business on time.

@John Robson

"That's what I've been asking you to do"

I offered a selection of topics for you to choose from. You complain a wall of text because you decide to tackle all of them and now complain I didnt pick one for you. Didums, I let you choose so you are most comfortable with the topic. All of them are good reasons to leave.

"The EU economy doesn't matter in the sense that we will be doing worse out of it than in it"

That doesnt work at all. You are telling me of this theoretical bad economy we will have for leaving the EU, while the EU has a highly visible bad economy getting worse. Lets assume the UK economy does go bad for a moment. If the EU continues and gets worse then it really does matter. The last example was the 2008 recession where the US and UK bounced out and the EU propper nearly ended up in deflation.

"Whether you think that we should become the 51st state of the US or a precinct of China... Or whether you still harbour over the old empire days"

Or none of the above. Being in the EU seems to make some people believe we must be under another country or hark back to empire days. Its almost as though the idea of being a country has left them.

"If a deal has NO better parts, and is a "new" deal then it is by definition worse."

Really? So if little UK gets the same deal as big ol EU its worse? No its the same. And you are the one saying we would get worse than the EU.

"If it *was* the same, then that in itself would be a major achievement, and yet at the same time have achieved precisely fuck all."

Be out of the EU and have the same deal. For those wanting to leave the EU that surely is an achievement?

"Well, we gain some and lose elsewhere. Because we will suddenly have no influence on the trading block with which we carry out more than half of our trade"

How is influencing a trade block sovereignty? Sovereignty over our own country. And of course we trade with them when we are stuck in the same protectionist block. Exist that and the protectionism of 27 countries goes away.

"The rules they make will need to be followed by a very large proportion of our industry anyway, and now we can't actually influence them."

You missed a word- our export industry. And thats if they are exporters to the EU. Which isnt a bad thing. Its not a problem. Just as exporters to the US must follow their rules (for the exports) but domestic business (and business exporting elsewhere) doesnt have to follow EU restrictions.

"One can only have lost sovereignty if there is something that you want to do that you can't"

Such as reducing tariffs and regulations designed to protect 26 countries that are not the UK. Removing regulations we dont need or want (e.g fine a tradesman for not littering).

"Chicken - 16% food poisoning vs 1%."

Not so easy to compare that-

https://fullfact.org/health/food-poisoning-US-UK/

If you want to see how difficult it is have a look at this- https://briefingsforbritain.co.uk/fact-checking-the-bbc-fact-checkers/

"What did you say was unmissable (other than salmonella?)"

You repeated a request for a standard that is protectionist and I had already used your chicken standard. I know you intended this as a dig at me, but this was your ignorance at the time.

"You then start jumping around so hard I need to get my flea spray."

Just trying to address some of your moving points.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon