Reply to post: Re: The problems:

HP CEO talks up HP-ink-only print hardware and higher upfront costs for machines that use other cartridges

FIA Silver badge

Re: The problems:

If you don't print often, don't get inkjet.

This.

I treated myself to a decent laser about 6 years ago, as I print very infrequently (but the ability to do so, and scan is a godsend every so often), and am still on the toner that came with it.

It is an HP though, so I am having to suffer constant 'your toner is empty' messages, and did have to prod it into printing colour a few months ago due to 'no toner'. (however once prodded it still does).

I suspect I also suffer from getting a SOHO one; with the expected duty cycle that they assume that will come with.

Knowing what HP are like and that they're only getting worse I talked my mum into getting a Brother laser recently, which she's really happy with. Although that did just stop printing the other day as the toner was 'empty'. A simply youtube and a few button presses later it's all working again, but it was much more abrupt than my HP, and more 'service menuy' to fix than I expected.

Mind you, as mine is built like a jeffing tank I'm hoping I'll not have to replace it. (and I expect when I finally drop the few hundred quid on replacement toner that'll last me for life. :D )

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon