Reply to post:

UK coronavirus tier postcode-searching tool yanked offline as desperate Britons hunt for latest lockdown details

Grease Monkey Silver badge

I find it interesting how many people say "I live in X and the infection rate here is really low, it's the rest of the county/borough/council area that's the problem"

The majority of these people don't seem to be working from any real data. They just work from the assumption of "I don't know many people who've got it, so I'll assume that my town/village/council ward has a low infection rate".

In my own village I've been hearing for weeks "I don't see why we have to be grouped with Dewsbury, we have a low infection rate". It doesn't matter how many times you tell these folk that the local infection rate is at least as high as Dewsbury they won't accept it. Even when you show them this https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/interactive-map they won't accept it because they know they are right no matter what the data tells them. This seems to be repeated across the entire country.

Finally on my own street this got driven home. There are but 38 people living on this street and last week we had three active cases on the street. One of my neighbours was of the opinion that 3 cases isn't a problem, after all it's only three cases. Since the government like to work in cases per 100,000 population I pointer out to my that the national average is currently somewhere in the 200 per 100K range, or to look at it another way 0.2%. The rate on our own street was about 8% or if you like 8,000 per 100K population. Or perhaps 40 times the national average. Suddenly she got the message.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon