Reply to post: Re: Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere

America, Taiwan make semiconductors their top trade priority at first-ever 'Economic Prosperity Dialogue'

llaryllama

Re: Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere

I wish people would stop comparing Chinese apples with Japanese oranges.

China is a strict authoritarian dictatorship whose education system is carefully managed and curated by the Chinese Communist Party. Japan has been a liberal democracy since 1947.

I have had the somewhat unique experience of early education in the UK, Chinese and Taiwanese school systems. My experience with Chinese teachers has been very negative, you are expected to learn by rote with a very narrow focus and there is almost zero leeway for discussion or debate. You have a lot of smart kids getting 100% on algebra exams but with no critical thinking skills whatsoever.

"We'd better get on board with China or get left behind" is an understandable but dangerous way of thinking if you value democracy. The PRC is currently doing some pretty awful things to its own people and Asia at large, and the Communist Party has openly stated that they wish to challenge western democratic systems and export Chinese autocracy around the world.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon