Reply to post:

Apple's global security boss accused of bribing cops with 200 free iPads in exchange for concealed gun permits

45RPM Silver badge

‘Head of Security’. You can see why the wrong person, given this title, might have gotten carried away as he did - but this is a fail for Apple’s culture, I’d say. How did he even get past interview?

That said, I don’t think that a failure in one person necessarily indicates a failure in the entire business, or even the wider culture. For example, I used to work for a business where the following story was told of an ex-member of one of the senior leadership. It’s a far-fetched story, and so may be apocryphal, but so many independent people related it to me that there may be fire under the smoke. The senior leader it relates to certainly got fired anyway. Names have been removed - but anyone who worked for the same business as me at the same time will know exactly what I refer to.

The senior leader wasn’t getting his jollies, and had a nice little earner on the side selling soiled panties to other perverts. This did not fit with the businesses professed goals and culture. The soiling was a service that he performed himself, presumably on the wares of the lingerie department of M&S purchased during his lunch hour. At some point, he had a crisis of conscience. It was wrong that a perv buying knickers purportedly soiled by a woman should be getting knickers soiled by another old perv. So he asked his PA to do it for him - and the faeces hit the propellor. No matter how good their working relationship, this isn’t what she’d been hired for.

The point being that, no matter how reprehensible his actions were, they weren’t representative of the organization that he worked for. The actions of the person can be, should be, separated from the business itself (excepting the real bigwigs of course, the CEO in particular).

Now, would anyone like to buy some panties?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon